Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Amber Eyed Monster

I didn’t want to know, but I’d kept count: thirty-four tries. The hateful amber light which should have glowed green still blinked uncooperatively as the computer refused my order to come to life.

I felt beaten and betrayed as if one of my arms had leaped from my body and slapped me before running off with my wife.

In a move born from the marriage of my stung vulnerability and inherent refusal to be dominated by a machine, I found myself standing over the disemboweled hard drive tower which was sprawled across my dinner table like a poor geek’s Frankenstein’s Monster. The caveman inside me marveled at the fragile components, crisply green and silver, exposing themselves as if a potential mate coyly revealing her flesh “accidentally” to catch my attention. I approached it with the same nervous meticulousness of a rookie lover, following step-by-preordained-step, and escaped the encounter similarly, relieved to have made it out alive and strutting like a peacock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alibris

Use of Literature

All written works and characters shown here are the sole property of the author (Jared Culpepper, unless otherwise credited) and may not be used or redistributed for any purpose without direct written consent from the author and by fully complying with terms issued by the author and contained in said written consent. Contact All creative property Copyright © Jared Culpepper, 2008-2010.